He'd been checked out worn some braces, etc. Well this past year, the pain just progressively got worse, and came to a festering ache this fall while playing baseball with the Prospects in Little Rock. I was asking him about it, and when he used the words, "it locked up", I knew we had to take him back. His Dr, was blown away in previous visits with how loose his knees were, but thought it would be ok. Well, it wasn't this time.
On Monday, September 10, Brent took him back to the Dr. Drew's knee Dr, said, surgery was needed hands down, his ACL was shot...We got lucky that he had a cancellation, and could get him in on September 13th, yes THREE DAYS LATER!!!! This was somewhat of a blessing and a curse. Having it so soon allowed very little time for worry, and also very little time for us to prepare. But we were grateful nonetheless...
So bright and early on Thursday the 13th, we took him in. I was a nervous wreck, and had pretty much turned it over to God... I knew that aside from Him, there was nothing I could do. Despite Drew's nerves about needles and being operated on, he did extremely well. I offered a small bribe, to not pass out or throw up, when he got his IV, and I'm proud to announce, he didn't do either of! This is a BIG deal :)
Everything was going well, until they told us about the nerve blocks that the Dr required... None of us had any clue he would be getting one, let alone two. Having to watch them put Drew in so much pain, was by far the hardest thing I have had to endure thus far as a mom. I tried my best to hold it together for Drew, and just be there for him. For the first time in my life, I felt like God wanted me to pray so I did. And that brought a little bit of peace to both Drew and I in that moment. After they were done, the medicine to help him relax FINALLY kicked in, and he was able to drift off and rest. About an hour later, they took him back for the procedure.
Drew in his oh so attractive hospital gown - before any of the "fun" stuff went down
Sitting in that waiting room, was NO fun... something I hope I don't have to do ever again. Nor do I ever hope Drew has to do again! About an hour and a half later, his Dr came out, and let us know that everything went very well. Drew's ACL pretty much fell right off of his bone, and was totally dead. This surgery came at the perfect time, or else something really nasty could have gone wrong if he were to have totally blown it while playing a sport/activity.
This is the pic of his knee from the inside... The first pic is where is ACL SHOULD have been, and the top left is of his new ACL.
A few hours after surgery we were able to take him home. The first couple of days were pretty rough on him, but he was a trooper and powered through the pain.
This is what he came home in...
This is what was underneath...
Drew has been going to physical therapy twice a week since his surgery, and had multiple sets of exercises he has had to do three times a day. He has done really well, and was released today to resume LIGHT activity. Still no baseball or running, but he can add in a little more activity. No baseball has been hard on him, but God knew what he was doing with us, and this all happened at a good time... By January he should be 100% back to normal, I'm thinking he will be even better than before. :)
A special thanks to the VERY few of you that showed support and love to us during this rather crazy time... We are very grateful to:
Mikel Forehand and Sarah Patrick - for bringing us dinner on Thursday night
Chuck Butler and Wade - thanks for coming to visit, and for the Sonic drink
MJ Cordero - for coming and hanging out with D for a little on Sunday
Also, wanted to say a special thank you to Ken, for stepping up and taking care of our little ones while I was taking care of Drew. I know that it was a lot of work and a lot of stress, but I am very appreciative for all you did for us.
And to Brent for taking good care of Drew while he was at your house. If he couldn't be here, I'm glad he has an awesome dad that was willing to take care of him the way you did.
Also to my Mom for watching the kids for me... I know they are a handful :)
And last but not least, for Ken's parents, Ken and Angela for flying in to help out.
Continued prayers are always appreciated... his left knee is a little unstable, so just prayers that with a strong right knee, his left knee will fall into line :)
No comments:
Post a Comment