Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Reflections on my Pregnancies

So, had you asked me when I was 17/18, how many kids I was going to have when I grew up, I would have laughed and told you none! I had my life all planned out, and knew exactly what I was going to do.  That was either practice criminal law, or own my own dance studio... God must have thought that was funny, as he showed me who the boss was.  :)


In November of 1997, I discovered I was pregnant. This came as a HUGE shock, and was a hard pill to swallow.  I was in my senior year of high school, and had plans! However, it turned out to be one of the greatest blessings ever. That pregnancy was interesting...  I gained a TON of weight, with the notion of I was so young, and planned to breastfeed, so the weight would fall off, right? HA!! I carried Drew for almost 42 weeks, and had a horrible labor experience.  So awful, that I swore he was going to be my one and only child. Again, boy was I wrong. On August 4th, 1998, I was blessed with Drew Daniel Young. My life was forever changed...


Fast forward to early 2000... I was working in the church we were attending, as one of the nursery directors. Being with little babies every Sunday was making my "clock" tick again, and so we decided to try for a little girl.  A few months later, I was pregnant. With my second pregnancy, I didn't go as overboard with being an idiot in thinking that my body was going to just bounce back. However, pregnancy and I didn't agree. I wasn't a happy pregnant person, at all.  But, I had the perfect thing going for me!  One of each, then I was set.  No more babies for Nicole. HA!  Wrong again. :)  On January 25, 2001, my sweet blonde angel, Peyton Nicole Young was born.  Sweet as sugar, and cute as could be. She rounded out my world. 


After Drew and Peyton, I was done with being pregnant!  Never needed to be pregnant again. This made me very happy.


Well, life happened over the following years, and as we all know Brent and I divorced. He is an amazing dad to Drew and Peyton, and still one of my best friends.  He and I created two amazing kids together, and for that I will be forever grateful to him.


Love was found again with Ken, and he really wanted his own child. So when he finally popped the question, and we were married, the baby was the next thing in line.


Now, let me first say this.  I promised Ken ONE baby.  Just ONE! Keeping in mind what I said before, I don't like being pregnant.  It doesn't agree with me, and my health wasn't exactly ideal for making a baby. 


After a couple of attempts, we found out in November of 2009, that we were expecting.  I was elated, and scared.  It had been a decade since I had been pregnant, and had a little baby. My pregnancy wasn't the easiest this time around. I was very sick in the beginning, developed gestational diabetes, and towards the end had to be put on bed rest due to high blood pressure. This was for sure it, the last pregnancy! HA! I should have known better by now, right? Never, ever, say never. :)  We went in to pre-register, and Ken admitted he wasn't sure I should get my tubal done.  So he asked that I wait, just to be sure.  He REALLY wanted a little boy, but on August 2, 2010 we were blessed with our little cupcake, Calliope Celia Marie Hough. 


Now, Calliope was one tough little cookie to deal with. She gave me a run for my money, and I told Ken, that despite his desires for another I just wasn't sure I could do it again... I prayed and prayed and prayed, and the Lord opened up my heart for one more little one.


Ken and I decided to try, and succeeded. First attempt. :)  I guess my body was more ready than I thought.


Now...  this last pregnancy was honestly a breeze. I believe that this was for a reason.  I was able to really soak it all in this time.  With my first two, I was so young, and quite frankly dumb, and ungrateful.  I didn't appreciate my growing belly, and the feeling of having a little life growing inside of me. This last time around I did. There were days, of sheer and total misery... but overall, I couldn't have asked for a more perfect final pregnancy.


This time around I was actually sad that the pregnancy was coming to an end. Even though I knew it was the best thing to do, having that tubal was a really hard decision.  To know that I would never be able to feel another little one kicking me from the inside, and having crazy hiccups, etc. I cried quite a few times about this. Knowing this was my final pregnancy, and embracing my pregnant body I decided to have maternity pics taken.  I had never been comfortable with my pregnant body, but I wanted to remember it, so that I had something to look back on.  I am so glad I did. 


On April 4, 2012 Nicholas William Hough was born into this world... my life was finally complete.  I had never realized that something was missing until I saw him.  My heart and mind felt like never before. At that very moment, I knew that it was time to be done, and was at peace. 


While I didn't understand it when young, and it took until my last, pregnancy and God's gifts of children are just amazing.  Each one of my kids bring me an amazing amount of joy, love, and I am so proud to be their momma.


Here are a few of the pics from my maternity session. She did a great job capturing this memory for me :)













1 comment:

  1. Such a beautiful way to celebrate your pregnancies and kids! Love this!

    ReplyDelete